Pages

Friday, July 06, 2007

Mexico: A Traveler's Literary Companion

Books have always been some of my favourite travel companions. I especially like reading works that give me some insight into the country I happen to be visiting. On my last trip to Mexico, I took along Mexico: A Traveler's Literary Companion,edited by C.M. Mayo. This compact volume is a blend of fictional short stories, book excerpts, and literary musings. Selections are organized by regions and cover the entire country of Mexico from its northern deserts bordering the United States to the jungles of the Yucatán Peninsula. The writings impart a strong sense of place, and they show this geographically and culturally diverse land through the eyes of some of its most perceptive contemporary writers. A highly recommendable travel companion for anyone looking to explore the literary side of Mexico.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Muchas gracias for your very kind mention of Mexico: A Traveler's Litrerary Companion. So glad you found it! Feliz viaje.